Since we can’t currently travel anywhere new, on Tuesdays during quarantine, I’ll be featuring somewhere I want to travel & an imaginary itinerary + wardrobe. It’s fun to daydream about new places to explore, and it will give me so many ideas for my next trips! This week: Mauritius!
Mauritius is an island nation off the east coast of Africa.
Mauritius is popular with tourists because of it’s white sand beaches, clear blue waters, and lush greenery. I’ve had it on my list for quite some time because it looks like a place of total relaxation, whether you’re lying under a cabana on the beach or snorkeling in the coral reefs.
The island has a history as a Dutch, French, and British colony, and has global influences from India, China, and mainland Africa. These influences combined with the local spirit have made for a unique blend of culture, cuisine, and architecture. From beach bums to adventure-seekers, it appears that there’s something for everyone in Mauritius.
What I’d do:
- Hike Le Morne Brabant, a mountain on a peninsula at the southwestern tip of the island. It is a UNESCO world heritage site, and is rumored to have been a place where escaped slaves would seek refuge.
- Visit the Pamplemousse Botanical Gardens, the oldest botanical garden in the southern hemisphere. It was originally created by the French governor of Mauritius over 300 years ago. The garden is famous for its giant water lilies and features over 650 species of plants.
- Eat street food in Port Louis, the capital of Mauritius. With it’s blend of Creole, Indian, and Chinese influences, Port Louis is one of the most well known cities in the world for street food.
- Experience the Seven Coloured Earths of Chamarel. As the name implies, the Seven Coloured Earths blend several colors in their dunes, showcasing a surrealist landscape.
- View the waterfalls in Black River Gorges National Park. This rainforest park has miles of hiking trails, is home to several native bird species, and features breathtaking waterfalls.
What I’d wear:
What’s on your travel bucket list?
Tell me where and why in the comments!